Finishing Strong and Establishing a Legacy
As the end of the spring approaches, mentees should use this monthly discussion to focus on finishing strong and thinking about the legacy you want to establish in their program/job.
Discussion Topic #1 - Establishing a Vision for Your Legacy on Campus
Mentors, by sharing your experiences from their first year of college, will help mentees think more critically about their own goals and actions.
Mentors: Start by sharing your own candidate reflections on your first year of college, particularly towards the end of that first year:
- What is one think you think you did well towards the end of your first year in college?
- What is one thing you would do differently?
- What story or experience can you share about how you began to establish your legacy on campus and within your pre-professional network?
Mentees: Reflect upon share your experience so far, using the following prompts:
- What would you say are some key themes from your time in your program/job?
- What are some things that went as you hoped or expected?
- What are some things that did no go as planned?
- How are you feeling about the rest of the time in your program?
- What are your goals for finishing the year strong? How will you achieve those goals?
- How can your mentor support you by being an accountability partner? What can your mentor and program manager do to support you?
For many first-generation college students of color, the opportunity to leave a legacy can serve as a motivation for thriving on campus and serving as a role model to their community. Use this conversation to discuss the idea of leaving a legacy in your program/job.
Mentors: take the lead by asking your mentee to reflect on the following prompts:
- When you think about the legacy you want to establish , what comes to mind?
- When you think about the legacy you want to establish in your community, what comes to mind?
- What are some examples of actions you’ve taken to establish your legacy in your program/job and in your community?
- What are the 2 or 3 most important actions you would like to take to further establish your legacy
- What are some ways that you can build upon your legacy during your summer internship?
Discussion Topic #2 Finishing Strong
- How did you address those challenges in order to be successful academically?
- What worked well for you to end a semester on a strong note? Did you have any particularly helpful strategies around finals?
- What lessons about academics did you learn in your first year of college? How did you apply those lessons to improve your academic performance and success?
Mentees: Reflect upon and share your thoughts on your own experiences, using the prompts below.
- How are you feeling about your participation and performance so far this spring?
- Which course(s) or aspects of your job need the most time and attention?
- How will you manage your time to ensure you are successful?
- What are 1-2 actions you will take in the next few weeks to ensure that you improve in your areas of growth?
Mentors: close the discussion by reflecting on what has been shared. Share any additional suggestions for next steps and remember to update your program manager or any immediate support needs.