Getting the most out of Conversations
Conversations is designed to be a flexible space for mentors to connect with mentees. This can be a powerful communication tool for pairs inside and outside of class. It is important to remember that in addition to personal, social, and academic check-ins, mentors can also connect with mentees with humor and light-hearted conversations. Below are some fun questions & topics that can be applied to conversations with your mentee:
Funny / Light-Hearted Questions
- What movies or TV shows are you watching? Any you would recommend?
- What fictional character in a book, show, or movie would you want to meet?
- What mythical creature do you wish existed?
- What would be the coolest animal to scale up to the size of a horse?
- If you could have dinner with three famous people dead or alive who would they be and why?
- In 40 years, what will people be nostalgic for?
- How do you feel about putting pineapple on pizza?
- Is a hotdog a sandwich? Why or why not?
- If animals could talk, which would be the funniest?
Would You Rather?
- Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere or be able to read minds?
- Would you rather be unable to use search engines or unable to use social media?
- Would you rather have a flying carpet or a car that can drive underwater?
- Would you rather be forced to eat only spicy food or only incredibly bland food?
- Would you rather live on the beach or in a cabin in the woods?
- Would you rather be completely invisible for one day or be able to fly for one day?
- Would you rather never have to clean a bathroom again or never have to do dishes again?
- Would you rather only wear one color each day or have to wear seven colors each day?
- Would you rather lose the ability to read or lose the ability to speak?
- Would you rather always be 10 minutes late or always be 20 minutes early?
- Would you rather spend the rest of your life with a sailboat as your home or an RV as your home?
- Would you rather be able to talk to land animals, animals that fly, or animals that live under the water?
- Would you rather have an easy job working for someone else or work for yourself but work incredibly hard?
- Would you rather be the first person to explore a planet or be the inventor of a drug that cures a deadly disease?
- Would you rather have unlimited international first-class tickets or never have to pay for food at restaurants?
- Would you rather dance every time you heard music or sing along to any song you heard?
- Would you rather there be a perpetual water balloon war going on in your city/town or a perpetual food fight?
- Would you rather thirty butterflies instantly appear from nowhere every time you sneeze or one very angry squirrel appear from nowhere every time you cough?
- Would you rather live in a cave or live in a tree house?
- Would you rather be able to control fire or water?
This or That?
- Netflix or YouTube?
- Phone Call or Text?
- Facebook or Twitter?
- Ice Cream Cone or Snow Cone?
- Doritos or Cheetos?
- Big Party or Small Gathering?
- Amusement Park or Day at the Beach?
- Pancake or Waffle?
- Coke or Pepsi?
- Winter or Summer?
- Ninjas or Pirates?
- TV Shows or Movies?