Pair Expeditions are are a way for you to meet with your mentee beyond the monthly facilitated pair events. Pair Expeditions allow you and your mentee to expand on the curriculum through further exploration of their interests and aspirations.
Pair Expeditions require additional consent form your mentee’s parent/guardian, as well as approval from your Program Manager for each separate Pair Expedition.
In this article, we will discuss how to get approved for Pair Expeditions and how to request a meeting from your Program Manager. In this article, you can explore the types of activities you can do with your mentee. As always, reach out to your Program Manager with any additional questions.
Note: meeting outside of formal events without being Pair Expedition approved may lead to dismissal from our program.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get approved for Pair Expeditions?
- We are approved. How do we meet?
- Who can come with us on our meeting?
- How do we get there?
- Can I pay for transportation / meeting?
- Can I pick my mentee up at their home?
- What else should I know?
For additional region specific rules about Pair Expeditions, please review the article "Boundaries and rules for interacting with your high school mentee"
How do I get approved for Pair Expeditions?
- If you are interested in meeting with your mentee outside of our formal events, you may want to look into our iMentor Pair Expeditions. You and your mentee may qualify to meet out of program once the following steps are completed:
- iMentor has received a signed consent form from you, your mentee, and your mentee's parent/guardian.
- Reach out to your PM if you do not know where to find the PE consent form.
- You and your mentee have been formally matched and participating in the program for at least three (3) months.
- You and your mentee receive approval to meet from your Program Manager.
- Once both consent forms are signed, it will look like this:
Note: Consent forms can now be signed digitally! You will receive an email from your program manager asking you to sign the Pair Expedition request form. For instructions on how to do so, please refer to this article: Signing Digital Documents.
We are approved. How do we meet?
Once you have met the above requirements, you and your mentee will be Pair Expedition approved. However, for each meeting, mentors and mentees must:
- Request a meeting from your Program Manager at least two (2) days ahead of time.
- Click on the green "Request Pair Expedition" button to bring up the following box:
- Receive approval from your Program Manager.
- This is what you'll see when approved:
- This is what you'll see when the request is denied. You have the option to edit and resubmit:
- This is what you'll see when approved:
- Have a great time.
- Check in with your Program Manager within one (1) week after meeting.
Who can come with us on our meeting?
- iMentor’s screening process and consent form only apply to you and your mentee meeting. This means the only people who can attend your meeting is you and your mentee.
- People who cannot attend: significant others, friends, other mentees, and/or your mentee’s family (except for their parent/guardian). If you have questions, ask your Program Manager.
How do we get there?
- You and your mentee can travel via public transportation (excluding water travel). Mentors cannot drive their mentees in a private vehicle or boat of any kind.
Can I pay for transportation / meeting?
- Depending on the meeting, it may be appropriate to offer to pay your mentee’s way. Generally, it’s best to arrange a trip that your mentee could travel to using public transportation, and that is affordable.
Can I pick my mentee up at their home?
- As always, mentors and mentees are not allowed to visit each other’s homes and/or meet in private settings. You can arrange to meet nearby their home.
What else should I know?
- DO…Request a meeting from your PM by telling them where, when, and why you want to meet with your mentee.
- DO…Feel free to invite mentee’s parents/guardians to meet on a Pair Expedition.
- DON’T…Invite friends, partners, or other mentees to your Pair Expedition.
- DON’T…Drive your mentee or travel in a private vehicle (taxis, public transport are allowed).
- DON’T…Make plans that would require a large amount of money.
- DON’T…Pick your mentee up at his/her home or invite them to yours.